College is a new world. It’s a place where you’ll learn, eat, sleep and wake up then do it all again. You’ll be spending 95% of your time on campus and possibly 40% inside your dorm room, but while you’re there you’ll want it to feel like your home, right? I mean you leave your home that you’re so used to and go to a place where their idea of a bed is a “jail bed”. Some have stone walls and one window, it could possibly feel like jail. But I’m here to help you create the ultimate dorm room experience.
So you walk into your dorm room and you look around. What can you do to make this yours? Your room at home was filled with your collections of posters, and artworks, your fancy bedding and all the things you didn’t want to leave. Here is a list of things you should get for college:
- Pillows/ Protector
- Mattress Pad
- Mattress Top
- 2-3 Sheet sets
- Duvet cover/clips
- Mattress Protector
- Bed Bug Spray
- Egg crate foam topper
- Lap Desk (BEST THING I’VE EVER BOUGHT!)
- Desk Organizers
Storage & Organization:
- Shoe Storage (This can also be used to store other things besides shoes)
- Underbed Storage
- Storage Cart
- Ziploc Space Bag
- Door Mirror
- Storage Trunk
- Towels & Rags
- Shower Caddy
- Hair brush
- Hair dryer
- Plates and Bowls
- Cups & Mugs
- Food Storage
- Can opener
- Coffee Maker
- Decorative pillows
- Small quiet fan
- Wall Art
- Ottoman (If space permits.)
- String lights (or christmas lights)
- Colorful Pendants
Unique Ideas to make your dorm stylish
- Make a headboard shape from cardboard, cover it in your favorite fabric that will match your bedding or room. You can also double up the cardboard or layer it to make different designs. This is very effective and looks very nice when finished. You won’t even be able to tell a difference!
- Create a canopy by getting the 3M hooks and placing two on the walls and use one that will hang from the ceiling, using string thread it through the part of curtains that the rods go through then tie the string to the hooks. Viola! You have a canopy!
- Masking tape art is another thing many college kids and renters like. Colorful masking tape can be used as picture frames around your photos, use it on your bookshelves, and even design shapes on the walls. This is also called Washi Tape if you go looking for it in stores.
- Get some life in there with plants. Be sure to get something that will grow with a minimum sunlight requirements. Some plants that are hard to kill are Ficus trees, palm trees, Cacti, Jade Plant, etc. If you kill these, stick to the fake ones.
- Illuminate your photos and your room with Christmas lights, this adds a soft light so when it’s getting close to bed time you’ll be too happy that you’re light isn’t blinding. There is also a tutorial in the video below for some globe-like string lights.
- Use a shower caddy to store school supplies. You can use it to store pencils, pens, rulers, notes, etc.
Products for you:
Here’s some products that will make your dorm room just that much better. You can buy these directly and start decorating once they arrive. This will also prevent you having to leave campus to go buy something from a store that may be over priced.
Here’s a video with some DIY projects that will make your friends envious of your dorm room!
This should help you to get that dorm room that people won’t forget. Do you have anything you do to make your dorm feel like home? Let me know in the comments below!