Give back this Spring by having a birdhouse for your yard, you don’t have to go out and buy a fancy $80 birdhouse. You can make one! How?! It’s simple & easy to do and won’t even take out of the normal budget! This is a great way to get birds to your yard and do it easily.
What do you need:
- An empty quart sized milk carton
- Masking Tape
- A soft cloth or rag
- Brown shoe polish
- Scissors or small knife
- Screwdriver to poke holes in the carton
- Twig or small branch
What do I need to do:
- Rinse out the carton and let it dry.
- Staple it shut. Close it and staple it back together so it looks like it did when you bought it.
- Cut masking tape 2 or 3 inches long and stick them all over the carton until it’s completely covered.
- Put a little shoe polish onto the cloth and rub it on the carton, this will give it a wood look. Let it dry. You can also put a little greenery on it.
- To make the door, cut a circle that’s an inch to an inch and a half in diameter about 4 inches above the bottom of the carton.
- To make a perch inside the birdhouse, poke holes in opposite sides of the carton and stick a twig through it.
- Make a few holes in the bottom of the carton for drainage and a couple in the top for breathing holes.
- Poke a hole through the very top of the house, where the milk carton forms a peak, and string a piece of twine through it. Tie a knot in the twine, hang the house from a tree, and wait for your birdies to move in.
Do you have any interesting bird houses or bird-feeders? Or maybe even a butterfly feeder?? Let me know!