Do you have a free spirit? Do you feel that you could have had a gypsy soul in a past life? Or are you a carefree artist living in a city? Do you want your home to reflect your personality or your moms? If you said yes to one or more of those questions then this article is for you! Eclectic comes from the Greek and dates back to 1700. It means having deriving ideas, style, or taste from a broad and diverse range of sources. It is a carefree style that pulls together all sorts of patterns, textures and designs from all the periods and puts them together in a lovely way in one single room. It is actually one of the easiest and more inexpensive looks to pull together.The best part is, you don’t have to go out and buy all new furniture if you want this style. In fact, many of the things you can find in a bohemian room is available at thrift stores, yard sales and other inexpensive stores.
The basic things you should know:
- Color Palette. Bold colors look best with this look, reds, golds, cremes, and even purples look great with this style. You can incorporate these colors with the walls, furniture and accessories. Color is one element that really makes this style. Another thing that makes this style is pattern.
- Pattern. A use of many bright and unique patterns will turn any room from average to straight boho in a second! These patterns can be found in the window treatments, blankets, furniture, linens, etc. Some people even use patterned scarves to add to the feel.
- Texture. This can be in the furniture and/or the fabrics you use around the room, there are many ways to get texture in your rooms. For example, opting for a textured ceiling or wallpaper can instantly add texture and pattern to a room.
- Layers with rugs. One way texture can be added in the room is by laying rugs, which will add a cozy feel along with texture and pattern, it’s a win-win situation!
- Mixing furniture. With this style it’s okay to break the rules. You can have different styles and periods of furniture all at the same table or in the same room. This is why many many love this style. It’s all about your personal choices and not what a magazine says is right or wrong.
- Scale and Size. This is one problem you don’t have to worry about with an eclectic style. You can have big picture frames right next to the tiny frames and it won’t be a problem. However, you still want to make sure it looks good. One idea that some people do, is making a full wall of just photos!
- Interesting pieces. Always had that one piece of decor that you’re mother handed down to you? Now is your time to use it! Also, adding crocheted throws, furry pillows, and other odd pieces will make this style! But don’t overload the room with too many odd pieces!
Things you can look for in stores that will make this style:
- Paintings. Original paintings or even your own will give your home a hipster, boho vibe that will add originality to it in no time and inexpensively.
- Photography. One idea that many people use in an eclectic home is putting their own photography, professional or just having fun photos with the crew and they’ll frame them and place their selfies just as they would any other picture.
- Pillows and blankets with unique style. You’ll want to look for unique pillows, throws and other stuff like that to add around the house, when you’re comfortable with the amount of cushion you have then your guests will be comfortable too!
- Tapestries. Tapestries are usually fabric wall coverings, they can have just about any design on them, not to mention, they look great too! They add texture to your walls and look great!
- Lanterns. Lanterns aren’t just for light, put them in an eclectic room and BAM! You have more beauty in your home!
- Canopies. Because who doesn’t love a canopy over their bed? The canopy will give the illusion of space and add a free flowing feel.
Too Busy to go thrift shopping for these items?
Can’t get enough of the bohemian look? Here’s a video tour of a boho room for a teenager! Pay special attention to that ADORABLE cage light she has! Let me know what you think!
Eclectic rooms are simply beautiful, they are perfect for the free-spirited, carefree souls of this world. Do you just love the eclectic style? Tell me what you love about it in the comments below!