There’s one room in my home that reminds me that there is a place truly darker than the outdoors at nighttime, it is the laundry room. It has no windows, just one itsy bitsy light and the door going in. We have cleaning products piled on the shelving above the washer and dryer and other cleaning supplies “hidden” in the corners. It’s nothing really special at all. It’s plain jane white with white baseboards and light blue tile.
How would you feel if I told you that some people in this big world actually aren’t ashamed to show off their laundry rooms? Crazy, right? Well, with just a few changes you and I can be among those people! I’ve been researching ways to make the most of a small laundry room, and following are the best and easiest ideas that I plan on implementing right away, and thought I should share with the world!
How to make your laundry room seem brighter:
- Paint the room a bright color that will mimic the outdoors. This will make the room seem to be brighter immediately. Stay completely away from any colors that are dark or have a dark base.
- Place various light sources throughout the room. This will obviously add light to your room, but adding more than one means even more brighter!
- Hang mirrors in the room. Hang them across from light sources that on wall mounted or across from artwork. This will amplify the lighting and illusion of space in the room
- Keep flooring as light as possible. This will also help with the illusion of space and light.
How to keep your laundry room organized:
- Baskets. Baskets are key to storage, if you’re like me and have all those cleaning supplies and no where to put them then you are in desperate need of some baskets. They can come in all shapes and sizes, you can even get them in different colors if that’s what you’d prefer.
- Shelving. Most people already have these but if not, i’m just throwing this out there, you absolutely need these! Shelves will hold all those baskets that you go out to buy and throw your cleaning stuff in.
- Small Closet. If you have the space and the money, you could make a small closet just big enough for stuff like brooms, mops, and the other bigger items taking up your laundry room corners.
- Hide the dirties. We are in fact talking about your clothes here. If you go with the closet idea then this part will be easy. Take a section of the closet and fit your laundry basket inside, then place a rod/curtain in front of it so if guests do come in they don’t see your undies. Even better, here is a link to one of my favorite laundry organizers where you can easily sort your colors from your whites: Honey-Can-Do SRT-01235 Heavy-Duty Triple Laundry Sorter, Chrome/White
What product can change your laundry room blues forever?
Of course, I just had to brag on this one thing. Stacked washer and dryers are the future of small laundry rooms! Stacked washer and dryers make plenty of room for closet space, counter space and even an area for a laundry room sink! If you are short on space then you definitely need to check into this amazing life and space saver. You can see a sample in the below video.
If you have anymore laundry room makeover stories then put them in the comments below!!
Here’s a video of some makeover ideas: Enjoy!