When my sister and I were little we shared a room and our dad let us decorate. When you give your ten year old and seven year old permission to decorate their room, expect something disastrous but simple. For example, our Scooby-Doo bed sheets on the windows as curtains? Well, definitely not a statement. But it was all we could think of to do. But now that I’m older, I still try to find something simple yet a little more elegant than Scooby-Doo! Enter No-Sew Curtains.
When I first heard of “No-Sews” I said there’s no way. No possible way! How can you have curtains and not a single stitch on the fabric? Well, someone, somewhere got this idea that they needed curtains but either couldn’t sew or didn’t feel like it, so they made these simple little amazing but elegant curtains called no sews.
What will you need for this project?
- Fabric scissors
- Fabric of your choice
- One roll of stitch witchery (can be found in craft stores)
- Iron & Ironing board
- Small, thin, damp cloth
- Curtain rod
- Drapery clip rings
- Measuring tape
- First thing you need to do is measure your window, measure them a little bigger than the actual window so you’ll get enough coverage. Then take your measurement to the fabric store.
- At the fabric store, pick out your fabric and give someone in that department your measurements. If you haven’t already, pick up some stitch witchery and drapery clip rings.
- When you get home, lay the fabric out where you can get an idea of just how big it really is, then cut it into two equal parts. Leave an inch between the top and bottom part for “hemming”.
- Fold a 1/2 inch over each side of the fabric and iron a seam.
- Then, place the stitch witchery inside the seam, put the small damp cloth in between your fabric and iron to prevent burning and hold the iron on top for 10 seconds in one area, do this around the entire panel until it seems to be holding together good.
- Clip the rings 4 inches apart or however far apart you want them and then slide everything onto your curtain rod.
VIOLA! You have you’re no sew curtains! In only 6 easy steps you have a new elegant look for your windows.
In case you are unfamiliar with Stitch Witchery, the following video shows you a demonstration with a table runner.
Once you get that curtain on the rod, do you know how to properly hang it? Watch this video to learn more about hanging your rods correctly:
When you finish making those curtains be sure to put how you like them in the comments below!